Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Peace

When we took Cameron to the MTC back on Sept 23, 2009, he still had his cell phone in his hand.  Something I have heard is of great difficulty for these boys as they embark on their mission is the fact that they are so used to technology at their fingertips, keeping in touch with their friends constantly.

I think they go through a withdrawal of sorts in the training center.

They are refined, develop discipline, and learn to place their focus on a singular idea, serving the Lord.

So, as we drove up the hill near the Provo Temple, to take some final pictures before dropping him off at the curb of the MTC, he texted friends his "farewell for now."

Then I heard the snap of the phone as he shut it, and Cameron handed the phone to me and said he was ready.

That was a moment when I realized he really was ready, the Lord was giving him peace in his heart, and my son was ready to head off on an amazing two year journey.

His friend Taylor, the last one to text him, sent a final text that Cameron did not get to read, but I read.

He said, "Peace".

And that is what I hoped Cameron was feeling at that time.


Here we are, two years and a week later, and he is coming home.  I think, maybe a little different, not yet dependent on technology, and I hope we can savor these moments before the real world kicks in again and enjoy the peace of a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment