A new favorite place to eat is Firehouse Subs. Yum!But an interesting thing I observed while eating there on Friday had nothing to do with the delicious food.
As we were enjoying our lunch, a dad was sitting with his small child who looked to be maybe two. He was a really cute little towheaded boy. His dad had just opened this young boy's bag of chips and the boy proceeded, while picking it up, to dump the entire contents of the bag on the floor. Not on purpose, mind you, he just grabbed the wrong end of the bag. In a tiny voice he said, "I'm sorry daddy".
Here is the part that amazed me. I was amazed, I guess, because I see so much indifference people have for their children. On the other side of the spectrum, if they are not indifferent, they are angry and upset. This father was neither. He simply picked the chips up from off the floor, put them back in the bag and gave them back to his son. He smiled and turned his full attention on his son the entire rest of the meal. What a great dad!
I know, you are wondering what a great dad would be doing giving his son the dirty chips off the floor. I don't know. I never saw that boy eat a single chip after that. It is gross and I would never do that, pick them off the floor. Still, my comment was more on the fact that dad paid attention to his son and did not get angry or frustrated that this had happened, even after he had just paid for that bag of chips. Something in that just touched my heart. I am glad to know there are caring parents out there.
And after all, that little boy did spontaneously say he was sorry!
No comments:
Post a Comment