Friday, July 23, 2010

Nostalgia

I have been wondering where the nostalgia I have been feeling lately has been coming from. 

We got a new printer/scanner/copier/fax.  Our old one stopped working recently but the scanner on it never worked.

Because I now found myself with a new toy, I started scanning in some old pictures of my younger days and these pictures revived memories of childhood.

But, I still didn't understand the drive of nostalgia that was even keeping me awake at night, giving me a strong desire to write down some childhood memories as I thought of them.

Then it struck me what always triggers these feelings.

Back-to-school supplies.

Sights and sounds and smells and the feel in the weather can be reminders to me of back-to-school days. 

And the sweet appeal of fresh new supplies, like a fresh start. 

Back-to-school always felt a little more like a new year than the New Year! I had another chance to be the person I wanted to be, re-invent myself, and become.

No comments:

Post a Comment