Friday, February 4, 2011

Busy~ness

So a couple of posts ago I commented on how our oldest son, Chris, is not forgotten, just never around.  Very soon after that post, he got over his flu bug and a few days later headed up to Flagstaff for a Saturday of snowboarding.  This is a favorite pastime for all three of my sons.

About 3:30 in the afternoon I got a text and Chris was asking what the name of our insurance company was.  I thought that was weird. I figured he was fine since he was texting, but had gotten into a car accident of some sort.  And I wondered why he would not know our insurance since we keep that information in our cars.

I didn't hear back from him for a little bit.  Apparently that was because he was in an Urgent Care facility and was getting X-rays taken of his clavicle.  (The collar bone)  And by the look of the X-rays, he had broken it.

They gave him a sling, sent him on his way and told him to see an Orthopedic specialist as soon as possible.

Fortunately we have one on speed dial due to injuries our children, mainly Brandon, has sustained from school sports. Because of this, they squeezed Chris in that very Monday and took some more X-rays and said his break was too severe for simple bracing procedures common with this sort of injury. He would need surgery.


So on January 20, 2011, Chris entered the O.R. to have a repair done on is clavicle.  And when it was over, the surgeon spoke to me and said that they could see three pieces on the X-rays but in fact there were actually 5 broken pieces to that bone.  He had to open him up, find the pieces, put them together again like a jigsaw puzzle, with 7 screws and a plate.

And suddenly we found ourselves seeing a lot of Chris.  No work, limited school, no driving, and no showers.  He was an unhappy camper the first week.

 Then we found some waterproof bandages for limited showers, a few trips to the physical therapist to ease the muscle tightness and regain mobility, and a return to driving and work and he is back in business.  Once again, we don't see Chris much anymore but I am glad he is feeling better and more or less back to normal.........just waiting for the approval for that darned sling to come off!

No comments:

Post a Comment