When I spent my first Christmas here, I was not missing the cold, and potential opportunity for snow. After all, snow in MO was never guaranteed around Christmas anyway and I don't see Christmas in relationship to winter wonderland.
While a lot of the holiday season has songs regarding winter wonderland, it really is not related to Christmas in my eyes. The songs themselves bring those holiday thoughts, but Christmas itself is about the birth of Christ.
And our Savior was born in a desert in April. So I feel that the weather conditions here in Arizona perhaps better show the true climate and "feel" of the Christmas celebration. I truly love Christmas in Arizona.
That being said, there are times on occasion where I do miss the winter itself and the cozy feel of curling up near the fireplace with a blanket and a cup of hot cocoa and a good book and the relaxing feel of knowing that there is nowhere to go and nothing that must be done, because the weather prohibits it.
I miss snow days where the kids are off school and nothing better to do than to load them up with clothing and allow them outside to play only to have them return inside a few minutes later, frozen and wet and in need of dry clothing. A quick toss in the dryer all the wet outdoor clothing and another trip outside for more snow angels and snowmen.
Now my children are grown and they have spent many of their school day years without snow days. Instead they have spent more of their winter snow opportunities on the slopes of Big Bear Mountain, Sunrise Ski Resort, Snowbowl ski resort and various places in Utah and Colorado snowboarding.
Our new year rang in with a fresh downpour of the white stuff and Brandon begged a trip to Flagstaff to take advantage of the fresh powder.
So Tim and I drove he and a friend of his up to Snowbowl, in very cold weather, and let them board to their heart's content.
And I was reminded how beautiful snow among the pines is and how thin my blood has gotten as well!
Brrr!







Oh I love the snow! I don't know if I could ever do an AZ Christmas -- I'd have to go north to Flagstaff! :) Did you get snow in Gilbert? Sometimes we don't have a white Christmas in Kentucky but we did this year! WOO-HOO! :)
ReplyDeleteApparently it snowed in Gilbert the first week in Jan but I missed it. It was too warm, maybe in the 40's so it landed and melted and all I saw was rain. But to answer your question, no, it really does not snow here. I don't mind.
ReplyDelete