Remember the December mission picture where I could not pick out my son, not even after blowing it up to poster size?
I took a stab at guessing one of the missionaries in the picture was him, but I did not feel it really was him unless he had done some real changing since I last saw him 16 months earlier.
Still, I felt unsettled. After all, the picture stated that every missionary was in the picture so I felt I must find him.
Afterwards, I talked to him on the phone, where he explained that they were late to the meeting and did not get in the pic.
I felt a sort of relief but disappointment at the same time that I did not get the joy of seeing my son.
Fortunately, a few days later, some pictures of the meal were posted and I enjoyed a front of the table view of him. And he looked happy and well-fed. And I felt peaceful.
It is a funny thing, I have learned, what small and simple things might make me weep when it comes to my sons on their missions. And what other things will make me feel proud and strong.
But I felt better.
Then a new picture was posted.
It was of the whole group again, the same day, at the same time, only these young men got to show their crazy side. Again, no Elder Cox. I did not feel quite the same distress, after all, I had gotten to talk to him recently. Still, the squeaky side of me posted a comment on the blog wishing Cameron had been in those pictures. Even or especially the whacky one.
And Sister Barry responded in kind.
Upon a visit to Cameron's area, Pres. and Sister Barry spoke in the Sacrament meeting he attends and later had lunch with a member family in the area. Sister Barry told Elder Cox about my comment on the blog and said she would take a picture of him and post it just for me!
I must say it was greatly appreciated. Thanks Sister Barry! I think she knows just what a mom with a missionary needs sometimes.
YAY for getting a picture of Cameron! Keep on squeaking! :)
ReplyDelete