Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bloom Where You Are Planted

I moved into my house nearly six years ago. At the time, whenever a group of us moved, we threw a breakfast for our friends, gave them a tour of the house, and reminded each other that in spite of a move, we would remain friends. Though I moved into my house in June, I waited until the first part of August to throw the breakfast. I wanted to be unpacked, AND I wanted the boys to be in school. Everyone wanted to have the kids in school. The breakfast was much more relaxing that way :). So that day a friend brought me a cute little potted plant. It was a hibiscus plant with a single beautiful blooming yellow hibiscus flower on it. I am not very good with potted plants and did not trust leaving it in the pot, so after we enjoyed the little yellow flower for a week or so, I decided that I must transplant the plant or risk its death. Fortunately in Arizona, hibiscus can live outdoors and I found a spot outside that had a drip line with nothing to water. And I had a plant in need of a drip line. So, I dug a little hole, planted that bush, and hoped for the best. And it grew! Much to my amazement!
And while the flower color has changed slightly, to a little more of a peachy color, this hibiscus continues to thrive. Interestingly enough because there had been a cute little red bush of a more mature stature about five feet away from this one and one cold winter a few years back, it felt the bite of a rare freeze we experienced and perished. But not my little friendship plant. And I am sure it is from the warmth and love of a friend that kept it from freezing all these years.
I am thankful for the beauty I can enjoy, from this very computer, in fact, as from this seat I can look out the window and see my hibuscus blooming.
Four things you can't recover:
The STONE...... after the throw
The WORD.......after it's said
The OCCASION..after it's missed
The TIME.....after it's gone
Make the most of every day!

1 comment:

  1. Love the hibiscus...and your new background! :) No way on the time Chris has on his mission!!! Doesn't seem possible!
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete