Thursday, May 9, 2013

Chips and Chinks




 On top of my piano sits a row of picture frames spelling out the word "family".  One day, while dusting off the piano, the letter "Y" fell behind the piano.  I think because it is a heart shaped frame, it was a little rocky to begin with and as it was moved about, it rolled and dropped.
When I recovered it, its glass had cracked.
 I was disappointed.  After all, a heart shaped piece of glass would be hard to replace without going to a glass cutter to make just the right size. So, back on to the piano it went.  And every time I dusted, I thought about that cracked glass.

 Families have many flaws and cracks in them.  The key is to not let those undermine the love and support we can find within them.  And so my cracked glass is a reminder that we are all imperfect, but in spite of our imperfections, the unconditional love of our families can hold us together and keep a foundation solid.
The broken glass reminds me of this. I think I like the crack.

1 comment:

  1. Trying again to comment to see if it will work... I LOVE these frames spelling out FAMILY! Our families are not perfect but they complete the picture! Brigham Young who said that "every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation" That said, we need our family as much as they need us -- cracks and all!

    ReplyDelete