I have experienced something the past few months which can only described as a little piece of heaven. I have seen angels working right here on earth because I have been able to watch the actions of great service performed for my dear sweet friend Peggy, by those that truly loved her. I believe that this love comes because they understand the true meaning of Charity: The Pure Love of Christ. And as we strive to be like Him, we too can come to serve and love those around us in their time of need.
Peggy is not defined by the disease that she had. She was so much more; a Wonderful wife, a loving mother, a sweet sister and a loyal friend. But by her endurance of something so hard, so many of our lives could be blessed at her sacrifice. She was not given a healthy body many times in her life. But she endured what she was given and now our sweet friend is in a better place. But we are all still here on earth and in her memory are given a great gift, that of being allowed a little glimpse of what I think heaven will be.
To me heaven is a place where there is tremendous love, service, and kindness. I don't know that we will need to brush our hair or wear makeup or be trapped in the earthly things that make this life happier, more comfortable or enjoyable, but I do know that I see a piece of heaven when I remember the sweet sisters that made sure Peggy felt as comfortable and pretty and happy as possible while trapped in an earthly body that was failing her. Her hair was brushed, her makeup applied, her clothing straightened just right for comfort. I see heaven when I remember the kindnesses given a grieving family, and I remember a 14 year old boy, the size of a man, laying next to Peggy and holding her hand so she was never alone during that last day she was on earth and there was so much activity going on around her as she lay sleeping.
I remember Susan telling Peggy to reserve a giant cul-de-sac for all our mansions we hope to inherit. For Peggy had many friends and in order for us all to be neighbors, she will need to go ahead of us and get our reservations in. And I remember Peggy enjoying the thought of that. So, for now we say a temporary goodbye as she passes mortality and awaits the rest of us, but I am glad that I know that our relationships on this earth continue in the next life and I am glad that I have had the opportunity to taste a little piece of heaven here on earth as I saw earthly service that has no bounds.
Charity is most definitely the pure love of Christ and we can take these lessons and this love into the Eternities. Thanks Peggy, for your great example!



No comments:
Post a Comment