Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Change at the Helm

Today was Stake Conference.  Actually, Stake conference technically lasts two days, with meetings all day Saturday for certain leadership positions, and an evening session for adults. Sunday is a session for families.

This particular stake conference was well attended.  As far as that goes, in general our stake conferences are well attended and this was no exception.  However, the greater interest was there due to the fact that there was going to be a change in stake presidency.

Our now former stake president was a member of our ward and lived within walking distance of our home.  He recognized our faces, knew our names, and he has been in our home.  I think I have felt a bond with this stake president in a way I had never had with any other in my mortality.  Perhaps because there was more of a personal nature to our family knowing his family. He was not just a man that you see at the pulpit, or on the stand, and talk to once every two years to renew a recommend. And while these particular stake presidents I refer to may not have known my name or been a friend personally, I still knew they were called of God. And that they were good men.

But because I both knew that this man was called of God and because I knew he and his family, and because we went through two missionaries being set apart by him, and one released by him, there was a bit more sorrow as I learned of his upcoming release.

But we learned this news a few months ago.  And today was not sad at all. We all attended stake conference knowing what was coming, and knowing that the Lord's hand was in this decision. Our stake president was moving on, as he and his wife will be serving great people in the state of Washington as a mission president.  His leadership and service are needed elsewhere for a time. Our ward selfishly hates to see them go, however, many others will be blessed for their going where the Lord called them.  And a fortunate missionary from our stake will soon be there to welcome him as he heads to the same location shortly.

But today we received word that we have a new stake president.  And the beauty of this is that we can be assured that the general authorities sent here to find out the men who will serve in this presidency did it as the Lord would have them do.  Because the Lord already knew who the new presidency was.  But it was up to these good men to work and strive and interview and talk tirelessly until they learned which of a chosen group of men were the ones the Lord intended.

And so the mantle has been transferred and the new leadership is in place and there is no grumblings and confusion, rather a calm assurance from the Spirit to all those in attendance, that this IS what the Lord planned and it will be for our good and benefit. And I feel very blessed to know that when we are doing things the way the Lord intended, they go right and all is well. And I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment