Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Sweetest Strawberries

Cameron had surgery yesterday for a torn ACL and torn Meniscus.
It was a long day.  I had fallen asleep the night before, but woke up at 1:30 in the morning and never went back to bed. 
Cameron was scheduled to be at the hospital at 5:30.  
His surgery proceeded, he got his ACL repaired.  The surgeon also discovered the torn Meniscus that had not showed up on the MRI and made that repair at the same time.
Then we were done and the real work began.  At home.  

Upon arrival home, I sent Brandon out to get Cameron's prescription and some lunch for him.  I gave him my debit card.
I forgot to get it back from him and he forgot to give it back.
Later that day he needed to pay his tuition for his summer class.  I gave him my credit card to pay for that.
Again, he forgot to get it back from him.
I ran an errand really quick to the produce store.
When I went to pay, that was the moment I realized I had no debit card and no credit card.


Embarrassed,  I apologized to the checkout lady and told her I had no cards in my wallet since my son forgot to give them back.

She offered to hold them for me but I wasn't sure I would get free enough again yesterday evening to make it back up there.

And the man in line behind me offered to pay for my $10.00 worth of produce.

I thanked him and told him how nice that was but really, it was OK.  I didn't need to get the stuff that day.  And I left the store.

And the clerk ran out of the store and told me that the customer behind me already paid and I should come get my produce.

I was overwhelmed that someone had done that for me.  I was embarrassed and accepting help was really a hard thing to do.  But then I saw this young dad, with his two little boys with him, watching their dad do this amazing, charitable thing and I decided to swallow my pride and accept his generous gift. And allow his to set this amazing example to his children.

I thanked him several times and left with my strawberries and various other things I had picked up.

And drove home amazed at the kindness of others if we give them a chance.

And I remembered, as I drove home, that I actually had $12 in cash in my wallet and completely forgot that since I never seem to keep cash in my wallet for long.

So then I wondered at the series of events that led to the final conclusion.  And I decided I needed to accept help from others, and perhaps this man needed to give it.  And be an example to his children.  And though I could have paid for that produce, it needed to work out that way for blessings to happen.

And so, yesterday, I tasted the sweetest strawberries!  

And Cameron is doing well as well........

No comments:

Post a Comment