You might be surprised at what memories this pictures draws through my mind. It may appear as though this would remind me of a fun beach vacation and the craziness of 18 and 19 year old boys having fun in the sun.
I was not in attendance for this Southern California Adventure. In fact, this picture was taken on someone's phone and texted to me. I had to figure out how to get it off the text message and saved as a picture onto my phone then uploaded that saved picture onto my computer. Not an easy feat for one as PC challenged as myself. Nevertheless, with several moments of frustration, I figured it out.
This picture was important for this story because this picture really might not have happened. I won't say it should not have happened, or that would defeat my story, but possibly might not have happened had it not been for a series of events that led up to it.
The middle man in this photo is none other than my son Cameron, enjoying a trip to California in August, 2009. This was a big month for our family. I felt it in a very physical and spiritual way. On August 5, Chris, my older son, would return from his two year mission. On August 12, Cameron was scheduled to enter the missionary training center and learn the Tagalog language and head off to serve his mission in the Philippines.
But he met with some health struggles and he tried to deal with them. And just when he would begin to feel stronger, he would again slide a slippery slope downhill and have that long climb up to feeling better and healthier and ready to take on the good people of Bacolod Philippines.
As we met with the Stake president to release Chris from his two years of service, the Stake president held Cameron, Tim and I back afterwards to discuss the need for Cameron to give his date to report another six week time frame. Rather than report to the MTC in a week, he would report in seven, to allow him to gain the health he needed before heading to a country not known for the fine health care we experience currently in this great United States.
So, during this new seven week period, a group of Cameron's buddies elected to travel to California for a fun, end of the summer trip before college started for them. Cameron wanted to go along, but was torn because he felt that he should really be in the MTC and felt weird being out at the beach. But he felt good and he really needed to get away from the stress of the last few months that he had been feeling. I thought it a good thing and encouraged him to make the trip. He went, as you can see, enjoying sea and surf and food and friends. And when he returned a week later, it was with a cheerful heart and happiness and he felt good, really good. And so he was prepared to sit and wait his time then head to the Philippines in another few weeks.
But that "feel good" feeling did not last long and we were back to square one, with ups and downs over the course of the week. The Stake president suggested that we need to turn a health issue back over to the First Presidency where they would pray about whether or not Cameron should still serve in the Philppines. And so with heavy hearts and lots of prayers, we did just that and we waited to hear back from Salt Lake.
Finally, with just four days to go, I got a phone call from Florida Jacksonville mission home telling me that their office wanted to fax me Cameron's new mission papers and information that would not have time to reach us via the mail. I was rather shocked for this was not quite how we expected to learn of things. We thought the chain of command would come through out stake president and bishop. In fact, the Stake president had already set up a meeting so we could all hear the news together, with prayer and testimony. Instead we heard from a sister working in the office at his new mission who was unaware we didn't know yet and just wanted to get the ball rolling.
I was at work, and in tears, and feeling very little comfort and relief at this change. I knew Cameron would be very disappointed. I called him asking if he had heard something. He had not. He asked if I had and I guess he could tell by my voice that I knew something. So, I told him where his new call would be. He did not take the news very well. He was upset and disappointed. It was a hard and sad day for us all. Maybe it was how it was done. Maybe prayer and testimony would have helped. I don't know. But we all eventually accepted the realization that we now had to scramble for anther suit and a bike and a few changes to his wardrobe.
When he was set apart, the feeling was strong that all was well. We were accepting this change as the Lord's change. He was blessed to be able to know why this all happened this way and we were all at peace.
Cameron has never again mentioned the Phillippines. He has dug in and has now completed 1/4 of his service. I believe he has accepted this new call with open arms. And I am grateful and hope that he has seen, by now, his mission in Florida and why he needed to be there.
But for me, his mom, I still don't feel the peace and understanding that I want so badly. Because I believed that first call was a call. I believe the second call is also a call. I just don't understand why the first call even happened. I am trying to be patient and waiting for the knowledge. I have a feeling I may not know until Cameron comes home and tells me himself. Until then, I am practicing patience and faith that all is right and well. And this is all in the Lord's hands. He is at the helm and I will wait for His time to shed that inspiration on me.
In the meantime, I do believe this picture of the boys brings a wider range of emotions than one might expect from a simple day, building pyramids in the sand.

No comments:
Post a Comment